How doctors help Russian-speaking children with autism in America

"After our two daughters were diagnosed, our family collapsed. My husband helps financially, but he does not see the children, he's shy. I'm here alone, my parents stayed in Belarus. I did not know where to turn and what to do, then I went to a support group for the parents of "special" children, and now I'm not alone.We hold monthly meetings with psychologists, a couple of times a month with the same moms as me, We go out just to sit in a cafe, chat and worries. "

A variety of services are available to support not only special children, but also their families, their brothers and sisters. Some non-profit organizations, such as local community councils Autism Speaks, will provide free support, and in private agencies they provide family education and individual therapy. In addition, in the agencies you will be helped to understand and arrange children's insurance.

Of course, Russian-speaking children with features are much more difficult to adapt than their American peers. Therefore, bilingual professionals are invited to these children, who gradually translate the child into English-language programs.

If parents do not know English or do not speak fluently enough, you will be provided with an interpreter. Of course, in large cities and in states where there are more emigrants, the services of an interpreter are easier to obtain. And you can simply find agencies with Russian-speaking coordinators.

In high school, specialists help to select specialized programs that people with developmental features can visit in the future. These programs are organized by various agencies and are paid for under Medicaid insurance. Unfortunately, at the moment there are no programs that would only deal with Russian-speaking autistics.

0 (19).jpg
Nikita Chizhov